The Law Office of Sam Byrd is open and fully operational. For safety, we use phone and video conferencing for most appointments. However, some exceptions are made for in-person meetings when necessary. Courts and Clerks remain open for all business except in-person hearings unless it meets an emergency exception. We can complete 95% of our work under the current scenario! Click here to read more.
Law Office of Sam Byrd Focusing on Criminal and Family Law
Call to Schedule a consultation
423-954-7949 800-724-5435

Death, divorce, and other grounds for grandparent visitation

As the dynamics and structures of Tennessee families change, it can be hard for non-immediate members to stay connected and close to each other. This may be especially true if hostilities or conflict force certain individuals to end their relationships and alienation occurs between the two sides of a child's family. When two parents divorce or end their relationship it can be hard on their kids to stay close to their aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents.

Grandparents, though, can seek visitation time with their grandchildren in Tennessee. The circumstances under which this can happen are narrow, and this post will briefly address them. Divorce or the end of a relationship can give grandparents the right to seek visitation time with their grandchildren.

Another event that may give grandparents the right to seek visitation is death. When a child's parent dies the parents of the deceased individual may be able to petition for visitation time with their grandchildren. Similarly, when a parent abandons their child the parents of the abandoning parent may be able to secure visitation time as well. Readers should be aware that these are not the only circumstances that may give rise to grandparent visitation rights.

Grandparent visitation will not always be awarded. It must serve the best interests of the affected children and the failing to award visitation must put the child under the substantial threat of harm. It can be difficult for grandparents to fight for their rights to visitation with their grandchildren, but achieving it is not impossible. Family law attorneys in the state of Tennessee can help individuals work through the legal requirements for filing and advocating for grandparent visitation between them and the children that they love.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
| Email Us For A Response

Get the help you need

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Office of Sam Byrd

Law Office of Sam Byrd
3828 Dayton Blvd
Chattanooga, TN 37415

Phone: 423-954-7949
Toll free: 800-724-5435
Chattanooga Law Office Map

NCDD National College for DUI Defense: Samuel A Byrd