The Law Office of Sam Byrd is open and fully operational. For safety, we use phone and video conferencing for most appointments. However, some exceptions are made for in-person meetings when necessary. Courts and Clerks remain open for all business except in-person hearings unless it meets an emergency exception. We can complete 95% of our work under the current scenario! Click here to read more.
Law Office of Sam Byrd Focusing on Criminal and Family Law
Call to Schedule a consultation
423-954-7949 800-724-5435

Striking the right balance in a physical custody arrangement

It can be very hard for people going through a divorce to divide up their lives after spending years together in a committed marriage. They may fight over which of them will keep their marital home, and they may disagree over how their shared property should be separated between them. One matter that can be particularly hard for Tennessee parents to agree on is how they should split their time with their children after a divorce.

Child custody can be one of the most contentious issues a couple works through pursuant to their divorce. While parents often want what is best for their kids they may feel that the time that has been allotted to them to be with their children is insufficient. Especially when one parent is granted sole physical custody and the other is granted visitation rights, the noncustodial parent may feel as though they do not have a large enough presence in the lives of their offspring.

If a court is tasked with deciding matters of physical custody it will do everything in its power to maintain the best interests and needs of the child who will be impacted by the custodial determination. That may mean allowing parents to share time with their kids in a joint physical custody plan or limiting the time one parent has with their kids through a plan like the one discussed in the paragraph above.

As all kids and families have different needs and dynamics, so courts need to remain fluid in the forms of physical custody arrangements they can assign pursuant to a divorce. When parents cannot or do not create plans on their own for the custodial needs of their child, courts must strike the proper balance for them and put forth custodial orders that achieve the best possible outcomes for the child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
| Email Us For A Response

Get the help you need

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Office of Sam Byrd

Law Office of Sam Byrd
3828 Dayton Blvd
Chattanooga, TN 37415

Phone: 423-954-7949
Toll free: 800-724-5435
Chattanooga Law Office Map

NCDD National College for DUI Defense: Samuel A Byrd